Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Indian Sweater Vest

If I were more of an *$$ I would have pictures of the vast array of sweater vests I see on the men in Gurgaon (if not all of India). I'm not sure if it's a winter thing, but they are everywhere. What makes them so incredibly special are the wild colors. When I refer to the colors, I'm not talking about your 'run of the mill' Indian colors of deep purples and greens and beautiful blues and yellows. I'm talking about the in your face day-glo purple pinks, mustards with gold metallic threads woven through, swimming pool blue. And the cable of the sweaters! Thick, patterned, almost home-knitted looking. Where do the men get these sweaters? At Big Bazaar (I'll search next time I'm there...)? Gifts from their mothers? Their girlfriends? Do these disco sweaters catch the eyes of these men on the rack, outshining the sweatshirts, the button downs, the graphic T's? What is it all about?

If I learn anything in India, it must be the mystery of the sweater vest!

On that same note, I'm absolutely excited to go to Egypt and to test my theory on why on their canned sodas the tab pulls off instead of opens into the cans (as one finds in the US and most of the world). I believe it's to prevent any part of the outside can to go into the consumable beverage...there are rampant germs and bacteria in this world. I think it's kind of genius, but I want to know the TRUE reason! I guess I'll find out in a few weeks :)

(next post will have pictures...I promise!)

1 comment:

  1. As to the origin of the sweater vests: my vote is that until recently the wives and girls were knitting these for their dudes at home. --Carolyn

    ReplyDelete