Monday, April 2, 2012

India 2012: Take II

Lower Parel, Mumbai, India

Every time I go back to New York, I get an overwhelming feeling of joy as the plane swoops on down to JFK. I love the little islets of Jamaica Bay, I love the lights, I love the furry clouds. And I especially love the drive back to Hope Street, the first views of the Manhattan skyline, the familiarity of guiding the taxi driver 'right, left, right' to my little pale blue home. I don't love the traffic, but New York is definitely not perfect.


More Lower Parel

Coming back to India, I got my very own unique Indiafied welcome --just as warm, if a bit special--consisting of:

I. The Sweat

Take five steps off the plane and I'm drenched. Back at home, I could finally sympathize with people who can't stand the cold. I usually do well with cold weather, but India has spoiled me; I'm frozen in weather under 75 degrees! And India has reminded me that at least for the next two months I don't need to worry about taking a sweater with me 'just in case.'

II. Squitoes

"Hello! You're in India BITE!" I think by my sixth step, not only was I sweating, but I got my first mosquito bite of this trip. Damn you mosquitoes, why do you love me so?

III. Babies

You know the sinking feeling when you board a plane, find your seat, and realize you're seated right next to a baby? Well that happened to me this morning. And not wanting to be the person who steals someone else's seat to avoid the baby on board, I plunked down (you know...there were so many empty seats, why did I bother?). Of course the baby was cute and of course he was fussy. I held my ground and popped on earphones, until after a trip to the bathroom the baby came back bare bottom with his junk hanging out. It's a baby, so not a problem usually, until said bare baby butt rests on my cloth covered seat. Hmmm

IV. Taxi Drivers

You know, I don't even mind drivers trying to rip me off, when compared to those who try to rip me off and waste my time by driving me nonsensically around. Drivers: I live here, so don't bother! HA

V. Red String Bracelets

Yes, I'm not Hindu, but I love the red string bracelets one can get in temples (my bracelet lasted for 6 months). However, it's a bit disconcerting when out find one mixed in with your cumin and coriander spiced banana chips at Cafe Coffee Day. Ermmm...


Even more Lower Parel

Oh India. You know, I've kind of missed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment